Thursday, August 4, 2011

Graveyard Shift on a Space Station



01-Graveyard Shift on a Space Station    7:59:59

The most cynical, insulting and rudest disc I've ever done.  Simply put, I was reading a long description of ambient music on the internet, I can't remember the site.  The writer had it broken down into so many sub-genres it was disgusting.  I was reading the essay, trying to be a good sport, but when I came to a line that just about made me throw up.  It stated a part of ambient music called "space music", and in this sub-genre was a sub-sub-genre called crusing music.  This was simply described as "music for crusing between the stars."  "What kind of mutha funkin' bulllshit is this?"  I screamed.  Let me guess, four minute instrumental pieces for crusing between the stars.  Does he mean music like the Theme from the original Star Trek series?  Hello, that was polynesian lounge music.  I began to really dislike the mere term "ambient music".  So, as in a retailiation to the stupidity of a writer who tries to declassify everything and put it all into convineint sub-sub-sub-genre, I came up with something real.  "Graveyard Shift on a Space Station" is just that.  An 8 hour shift, alone on a space station.  I considered the most honest piece of "Space Music" every done.  It took me a week to record it, mainly four all nighters, graveyard sessions to get the feel for the piece.  The cover is a photo of a friend of mine, Karen Selew.  She was posing as cousin It from the Adams Family.  I wanted a picture to show someone gone completely mad.  She posed perfectly for the part.

No comments:

Post a Comment